When living in Chico apartments, it's important to be mindful that you have others living in close proximity and that respectful pet etiquette is necessary. Especially during quarantine!
Having neighbors can be fun as it builds a sense of community and, when quarantine is over, a social benefit for apartment living.
Yet, living so close to others can sometimes be less than desirable, especially when there are unexplained noises coming from above, below, or through your bedroom wall....ahem barking puppy, quiet please!
We understand that living with a pet brings you not only extra companionship but also unexplainable joy. It’s because of this that we want to help ensure that you're the best resident and neighbor that you can be. This list of good pet etiquette standards can help.
Good Pet Etiquette
1. Follow the apartment complex rules by filling out the proper paperwork and turning it into management to amend your lease and add your pet.
*Doing this first means that you acknowledge apartment policies, and your responsibility for any extra fees or deposits, protecting yourself from being evicted because you have a pet that isn’t on the rental agreement.
2. Be aware of the noise policy and any complaints from neighbors.
3. Keep up on your pet vaccinations and other treatments to make sure your pet stays healthy.
4. Take the time to train your pet to be friendly to other people and pets, not make noise unnecessarily, and to do their business outside. The sooner you start training and stay consistent the better.
5. [After Quarantine] Consider hiring a pet sitter or paying for pet daycare when you're at work or away on vacation. This will ensure that your pet is being taken care of and not disturbing your neighbors.
6. Once you're allowed to be closer than 6 feet away, introduce your neighbors to your pet. This will make them more comfortable with each other.
7. Have an open dialogue with your neighbors about your pet. That way they will be comfortable talking to you about their concerns regarding your pet before they share their concerns with management.
8. When taking your pet outside for exercise and doing their business, make sure they are on a leash and you have little baggies. This is for everyone’s health and safety!
P.S. Please clean up after your pet's "business"
9. For pets that aren’t caged, it’s important for them to wear a collar with their name, your contact information, and city registration tags.
Happy People, Happy Pets!
These are just a handful of tips to help you and your pet follow the rules and be respectful to other residents. It’s never a good feeling when you receive a complaint from the management regarding your pet. We want you, as well as those living around you, to enjoy living in Chico apartments.
For information about living with pets, which pets are allowed in apartments, Hignell Rentals pet policy, paperwork and more, download our Pet Tool Kit today!