[Quiz] Are You a Bad Roommate?
March 19, 2022 / by Hignell Rentals Team
Have you ever stopped to consider what you’re like as a roommate? It’s easy to list the pros and cons about your roommate, but what if they listed all the things they loved and hated about you?
If your rental living situation requires you to have a roommate, take a step back and look at yourself from a different perspective. Take this quiz to find out if you're a bad roommate or not - and be honest with yourself!
Do you practice any of the following habits (check all that apply):
- Drink the last of the milk and put the carton back in the refrigerator
- Squeeze your roommate’s toothpaste onto your toothbrush when they prefer to roll the tube
- Play loud music singing along with Justin Timberlake until 3 a.m. – You’re bringing sexy back too
- Invite a large group of friends over to watch hilariously stupid YouTube videos and then try to reenact them – Harlem Shake anyone?
- Record over the final episode of Yellowstone – your roommate’s favorite show
- Bring home the stray cat you found – er – nearly ran over in the parking lot
Visualize this scenario: you’re living in Chico rental properties and you “accidentally” punch a hole in the wall while working out with your fitness app. What do you do?
- Blame it on the cat
- Try to cover it up with a Justin Timberlake poster
- Immediately let management know that “your roommate” tripped and fell into the wall
- Attempt to patch it yourself and decide that the walls really would look good a lime green color – you’re already out the door on your way to Home Depot.
- Rearrange the furniture – why not have the couch in the hallway?
When it comes to rental living responsibilities with a roommate you think:
- If there’s food in the cupboards, it’s fair game
- The rent due date is more of a suggestion
- Cleaning is really more of a frame of mind – if you visualize a clean apartment it will be so
- Sometimes you forget your roommate’s name
- You occasionally forget to turn off the lights and lock the door
If you have a check mark next to any of the answers above, you’re a less than ideal roommate. Okay, you’re a terrible roommate!
But, if it's the other way around and you have a bad roommate, check out the video below for how to handle it. The key to not being a bad roommate is respect. Communicate with your roommate, pick up after yourself, ask before doing something that will affect your roommate, accept responsibility, and try to have an all around good attitude.
It’s easy to discuss the annoying habits of someone else, but a lot harder to be aware of our own quirks.
If you live alone, consider yourself lucky. If your rental living situation is sharing your space with a roommate, hopefully you got a good one – and hopefully this opened your eyes if you aren’t a good one!
For more rental living tips subscribe to our blog or visit our Rental Resource page!
Topics: Rental Living Tips