September 20, 2023 / by Hignell Rentals Team
Applying for a Chico apartment can be a daunting task, especially when you're unsure of the requirements. If you're considering a Hignell Rentals apartment, here's an overview of what you’ll need to help you have a smooth application process.
1. Application Form
Before you can secure your Chico apartment, you'll need to fill out an application form. This form provides the management with essential details about you and any other occupants.
- Each individual aged 18 years and older who will be occupying the apartment must complete an application.
- Ensure the application is complete, signed, and dated. Only sections 2 and 3 on the back of the application need to be filled out.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
2. Application Fee
Every application comes with a fee. This fee covers the administrative costs associated with processing your application and checking your background.
- Each applicant is required to pay a non-refundable fee of $35 for application processing.
- This fee can be paid online when submitting the application or at the Hignell office. Note: Cash or credit/debit cards are not accepted in person.
3. Credit Score
Your credit score reflects your financial responsibility. Hignell uses this score to gauge your reliability as a tenant.
- A minimum credit score of 600 is required for the application.
4. Holding Deposit
To ensure that the Chico apartment you desire is reserved for you, a holding deposit is necessary. This deposit secures the apartment while the final paperwork is completed.
- To reserve an apartment, a holding deposit equivalent to half of the total deposit is required.
5. Guarantor (if applicable)
Sometimes, additional assurance in the form of a guarantor might be needed. A guarantor acts as a safety net, promising to cover costs if you're unable to.
- In certain situations, a guarantor might be required. This could be due to insufficient income, no rental or credit history.
- A guarantor must provide proof of income with their completed application.
- The guarantor should meet the following criteria:
- Have an income that is at least 6 times the monthly rent of the apartment.
- Possess a credit score of 700 or higher.
- Have a minimum of 2 years of rental or homeownership history.
- An application fee of $35 is also applicable for each guarantor.
6. Rental History Verification
Your past behavior as a tenant can be a good indicator of your future behavior. Hignell Rentals requires a history of your past rentals to ensure you're a reliable tenant.
- A minimum of two years of positive rental history is required.
- Provide the name, phone number, and email of the management from your previous residence for verification purposes.
7. Proof of Income
To ensure that tenants can comfortably afford their rent, Hignell Rentals requires proof of a stable income. This ensures that both the tenant and the management have a hassle-free experience.
- Applicants must have a combined income that is at least three times the monthly rent.
- Acceptable forms of proof include: recent wage statements (last two months), W-2 statement, tax statement, checking/savings statement, retirement and dividend statements, or financial-aid documentation.
8. Pet Policy (if you have a pet)
Pets bring joy, but they also come with responsibilities. If you're planning to move into a Chico apartment with your furry friend, there are specific guidelines you need to follow.
- Only ONE pet weighing 30 lbs or less is allowed per apartment.
- An additional deposit of $500 is required if you have a pet, along with a monthly Pet Fee of $40.
- Ensure your pet is healthy, up-to-date with vaccinations, and licensed (for dogs).
- A vet report form (provided by Hignell) must be submitted, along with the completed ‘Pet Policy & Agreement’ during move-in.
- Provide a photo of your pet to assist in case it gets lost.
9. Moving In
The day you've been waiting for! Moving in is an exciting time, but there are a few administrative tasks to take care of to ensure a smooth transition into your new Chico apartment:
- Schedule your move-in at least 2 days in advance.
- On the move-in day, bring identification such as a state-issued ID or DL card.
- The move-in payment (rent and all deposits) should be in the form of a Cashier’s Check, Money Order, or online payment. Personal checks are not accepted for the first payment.
- If you have a pet, ensure you have the completed vet report and a photo ready for your file.
Securing your dream apartment at Hignell is more than just finding the right space; it's about ensuring you're well-prepared for the application process. By understanding and gathering all the necessary requirements in advance, you can navigate the process with confidence and ease. Remember, a well-prepared application not only increases your chances of approval but also sets the tone for a positive and lasting relationship with your apartment manager. Here's to new beginnings and the exciting journey of making a Hignell apartment in your new home!